Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Slavery Mini-Unit for olders

I decided to make a more literature-based mini-unit for slavery instead of a full unit/lapbook. Basically with lots of reading of nonfiction and historical fiction and oral discussion. However, when you look at my "mini-unit" it may look more like a "unit," lol - I just can't help it!

These are the resources that I used to compile our independent study unit. The actual paper I'll give to the older dc are uploaded in googledocs with the link posted below.

- In the Hands of a Child lapbook unit. I had already bought and printed this unit (forever and a day ago!) so I didn't want it to go to waste. It's actually very helpful even though we're not going to lapbook it because a lot of the necessary info is in there in a clear and concise way. If you haven't tried any of their products yet, look at their quarterly freebie. I especially love the range of age-appropriateness for their products.


- Okay, I cannot say enough good things about Dinah Zike books. I used this to quickly get some key names/concepts that I listed and used those to make the charts included in the doc. BTW, for some weird reason the bottom line of the last chart got cut off but shouldn't matter since it would be trimmed there anyway. The first link has the same cover as mine and the second book is (my guess) probably the same book only a newer version.



- The rest will come from our local library/home library. If I come across some outstanding books I'll try to post them. One book we read last semester was Amistad Rising and it was excellent.

Here is the link to our mini-unit.


What's Cookin'?

- Black beans are in the crockpot. I soaked them overnight in water and lemon juice to neutralize the aflatoxin. This morning (late because I kept doing other things) I rinsed a few times, filled the crockpot with water and added salt, onion powder (I went to pull an onion but they looked so pathetic from our recent freezes that I left them alone), garlic powder, and 2 chunks of ham. I still get excited because I can eat beans again :). Too bad I can only eat them at home though - better than nothing.

- Yesterday oldest dd made tortillas from the dough I had prepared the day before. Now we'll be set for bean and beef burritos tonight for dinner (the cooked ground beef is in the freezer)

- I made coconut bark yesterday so I have been munching on that. Day 3 and I've hardly thought at all about Coke other than to realize that I haven't been craving it like I thought I would. I wouldn't mind one right now though! When my adrenals slump this afternoon and I'm out I might cave in (sigh).

Speaking of Coke (and thus sugar!)... I'm watching this video right now; well, I watched 20 minutes yesterday and haven't gotten back to it yet but hope to watch a bit more after lunch or this evening. We already avoid high fructose corn syrup as much as possible (except dh) but I'm assuming it'll get into the evils of high amounts of any sugar for our health.


Will you take the challenge and watch it??? It's called Sugar: The Bitter Truth

No comments:

Post a Comment