Friday, July 26, 2013

Glencoe Literature Study Guides [High School Lit]

What's Schoolin'?

 
So many good books and so little time!!

I just finished going through my olders' Literature Logs and sorting the titles into the appropriate course for their portfolios.  They keep a list of all books that they read regardless of genre, purpose, or assignment all in one spiral.  Since we still do History and Literature thematically this works really well.  For example, both Mark Twain (Joan of Arc) and Dante would be read during our study of the Middle Ages but one counts for American Lit and another for World Lit.

They already have more than enough to support a full high school credit for British Lit, American Lit, and World Lit.  Seeing it sorted and listed under each course gave me a huge sense of accomplishment! :)

Before getting to the lit study guides I want to show you these cool interactive lit resources.  Click on the + button for:  Glencoe Literature: The reader's choice 2002.  Choose any of those options.  They didn't all open for me but I think it was more likely my internet that kept shutting off :(.
http://www.glencoe.com/sites/texas/teacher/literature/index.html

Glencoe has some really good Literature Study Guides, such as this Beowulf one.  Here is the main link with the titles/links.  Main problem:  no answer keys.  For some reason, even though I go through as a teacher it still only shows as the student version (and I've tried every which way).  I have e-mailed them and hope to hear back soon.  Otherwise, I like them so much that we will use them anyway.

http://www.glencoe.com/sites/california/teacher/literature/assets/litlibrary.html

Here is my list of those I would still like to do with my olders from this website:

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Cyrano de Bergerac

Frankenstein

The Metamorphosis

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich [I had to read this in my second language in high school!  Most of my World Lit was in Spanish for some reason.]

Pride and Prejudice

The Red Badge of Courage

The Scarlet Letter

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

A Tale of Two Cities

The Tempest

Possible additional titles:

The Brothers Karamazov

Great Expectations

Hamlet

Heart of Darkness

Jane Eyre

My Antonia

The Pigman

True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

Wuthering Heights

The Yearling

You know, it is completely possible that I've posted about this resource before!

Here are the links to these books at Amazon.  I have not read all of these so please use your own judgment.  I will be reading them as we cover each one.  It's been many years since I've read Kafka, for example.  Although I will share that I recently previewed Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and we will read all except the last part (the letter left by him at the end).

I hope these links are helpful and any purchases through these links help us in our homeschooling.  I know I will certainly use the links as we go through our literature! :)















No comments:

Post a Comment