Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Young Underground by Robert Elmer

What's Cookin'?

The dc worked out the menu for this week.  These are the dinners written and posted:
- Pancakes (oldest dd made these tonight)
- Taquitos (already made and in the freezer)
- Beans and Cornbread (pinto beans have already been soaked in filtered water with juice of 1/2 lemon and are now gurgling away in the crock pot)
- Chicken Tacos (we'll be trying our first organic corn tortillas from Azure Standard.  The ingredients say 'trace of lime' so I'm hoping they are nixtamalized and my hands won't bleed - right now I"m suffering from eating, literally, two small handfuls of Fritos after a looong day yesterday at a sporting event  PRID is the only thing that heals the lesions from eating unsoaked corn or beans)
- Chicken Nuggets (homemade) and mozzarella sticks (homemade breaded/fried cheese sticks)
- Tortilla Soup (will have to make homemade chips because I can't find organic corn chips around here)
- Quiche (using the last little bit of Amish swiss cheese I have and a little handful of pastured pork sausage.

We didn't plan any breakfasts, snacks, nor lunches (except leftover chili for one lunch) but it's a start... at least  the other 2 dds got the bread dough soaking for tomorrow.  We have (soaked/dehydrated) homemade peanut butter and some home-canned blueberry jam ready for sandwiches.  Wow, I sound so domestic!

Dud:  I don't have any yogurt or whey to make fermented lemonade, but I DO have some So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt (vanilla flavor 'cuz they didn't have plain).  I had gotten them for an activity because I thought one family might have dairy allergies.  Anyway, I tried draining it for whey to make the lemonade and maybe 2 drops of whey came out. That sure didn't work!  I need to get a plain little yogurt to use as starter and make a few quarts of yogurt very, very soon.

What's Schoolin'?

It's been quite a while since I've oohed and aahed over Robert Elmer books.  Youngest dd is currently reading one of his absolutely wonderful youth sci-fi books (that actually make me laugh out loud sometimes) outloud to me.  She's already read it and it's below her reading level but *I* haven't read it yet and thought it would be good 'together' time for her to read it to me.  Her book is:  Astroball Free-4-All (AstroKids) from the AstroKids series.

The older girls are studying World War II right now and I just pulled out the series The Young Underground for them to read.  It says ages 8-13 and they are older but I don't worry too much about that since technically it's for history and will be good reads.  Somehow I managed to find books 1, 3, and 4 used in bookstores but am missing book 2 :(.  I noticed that some are in Kindle form for $2.99 (and no shipping!).  IF I had a Kindle I would probably do that but even though I have the software to read Kindle books on my computer I'll have to pass.  It's tricky sharing the computer between so many of us!  We'll just read the books we have since neither library I use have any of his books (both used to and have discarded them!).  On the other hand... several are on Amazon (see links below) for only a penny so they are basically just the price of shipping (I think about $3.99 per book).  That's a great deal!




























No comments:

Post a Comment