Thursday, February 3, 2011

Older Yeller Reading Response

The olders and I read the original book Old Yeller for bedtime story.  Can you believe my teenagers and I still have bedtime story?  I get pouty looks if it's late and we have to skip it.  I just love more than I can say that we still snuggle up on the couch and read together.  It warms me deep in my soul.  For years now THEY have been reading to ME for bedtime story.  It all started when I was in that deep hole of Lyme but then continued as a matter of course.  I like it because it gives them that oral reading practice plus I get to actually relax for a while :).

Anyway, on to Old Yeller by Fred Gipson.  The reading level is below their level so you'll notice that there are no reading comprehension questions in this reading response sheet I'm posting below.  Plus, we always talk and discuss the books as we read them so most of the reading response is done orally throughout.  I guess that's why I shy away from literature units that just have a bunch of questions and vocabulary for each chapter.  We may do some of that if they are assigned to read a text alone, I see value in it, but there hasn't been a need up to this point.  You can read about my struggle with this issue about Anne of Green Gables here.

Before I go any further, I should put in a parental warning about the book.  It's an excellent, excellent book.  I will probably read it aloud already to youngest dd (9) (so I can edit a bit) and we'll watch the *old* movie from the library - at least the first 1/2 - all together (friends who know I boycott that company will be amazed that we're going to watch it!).  There is just one teeny tiny word that may make you cringe so preview it first.  Hmmm... it starts with a /c/ and it's what he does to the hogs, but it's just a part of life on a farm.  I just thought I should let you know; I know I would like to know!

Here is the Reading Response for Old Yeller that I gave the olders to do on their own (after we read the book together).  As always, for personal use only and no selling, thanks:

http://tinyurl.com/45hk3h6


Here are a few more thorough free online units for the book:

http://owensville.k12.mo.us/~smart_lessons/5/Peggy/Communication%20Arts/OLD%20YELLER/oldyeller-sb.pdf

http://www.nt.net/~torino/old.html

This has some bunny trails:
http://ethemes.missouri.edu/themes/1591

Some more goodies:
http://edhelper.com/books/Old_Yeller.htm

What's Cookin'?

Bone broth, and lots of it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment