Saturday, January 1, 2011

Homemade Colored Sugar? Who would've thought...

If you are avoiding artificial food coloring and food dyes like we are I hope you will be as excited about this as I am, or at least not roll your eyes because you've known about this for years :).  I bit the bullet last fall and got these natural food colorings.  I split the 2-pack with a friend found here (the food coloring, not the friend!).  That leads to this:

It's New Year's Day and we (finally) got around to making our Christmas press-out cookies.  I used this recipe from allrecipes that had good reviews (I swapped out the white sugar for rapadura).  The best review, however, came from dh who really liked them.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/cookie-press-butter-cookies/Detail.aspx

I knew the dc would enjoy decorating them but we didn't have any colored sugar, or sprinkles, or anything.  I had tossed the old ones (and wouldn't have used them anyway) and couldn't invest that much into it when I ordered the natural food colorings to also get the decorating sugar.  [They are available here - check each one's ingredients before you order to be sure] I remembered how you can color your sand with tempera paint and thought, "Why not?"

I put a scoop of white sugar in a container and added only about 6-8 drops of the red.  Bingo!  It worked great.  I put another scoop of sugar in another container and only added about 4 drops of blue.  It took more yellow to make green because it's a lighter color, so I just added one drop of yellow at a time and mixed it in until it was green.  I don't normally use white sugar but did for this because the rapadura for dd's birthday cake frosting subdued the color a bit.  I thought the colors would show better with white sugar.  It worked!

I was so excited that I called my friend K. who went in with me on the natural food coloring order at Amazon.  She was so sweet and enthusiastically humored me, lol.


This post is part of Kelly's Read Food Wednesday found here:

No comments:

Post a Comment