Friday, August 15, 2014

Practical Life: Eye Pillows ~ Sinus Pillows

What's Cookin'?

We had homemade hamburgers tonight and we were oohing and ahhing through dinner.  I just don't make them very often.  In fact, I cheated and got grass fed/finished premade Kolbe patties.  I thought it was a lot to spend for one meal (2 big patties that we split between 4 of us) but it was less than 1/2 than it would've cost at the cheapest hamburger drive-thru - including sprouted hamburger buns.  Even though we split each patty good meat seems to fill us up more so we need less... So don't get discouraged! :)

What's DIY-in'?
 

Today we made 6 different eye and sinus pillows.  After reading and watching many tutorials I ended up just making my own measurements that fit within the fat quarters that I had. Each fat quarter is enough to make 2 pillows and 2 matching covers or 4 pillows.

Versions that we made:
- Lavender eye pillow [millet, lavender buds, lavender essential oil][another one using flax seed instead of millet]
- Lavender, Lemon, Peppermint (the "allergy bomb") sinus pillow [one with millet and one with flax seed]
- A blend with eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender and other essential oils for sinus relief. [one with millet and one with flax seed]

Instructions for 1 eye or sinus pillow:

Cut 2 pieces of fabric (I used cotton and the scent came out very well when it was finished)

For a finished pillow 3-1/2 x 8-1/2, cut 2 pieces 4 x 9.

- Pin with right sides together.  Pin 3 sides leaving a short side open.  Sew using a 1/4 inch seam.

- Turn right-side out.

- Scoop 1 C filler into a bowl and mix in the oils thoroughly (I used millet for some pillows and flax seed for others but I used the same amount).  Pour into the pillow. If it is too full then it won't be pliable enough to fall across the eyes properly.

- Add 2 spoonfuls of lavender buds or other botanicals if adding any herbs or other botanicals.

- The general rule of thumb that I followed was 10 drops of essential oil when using a single oil (such as the lavender pillows) or a premade blend.  For the lavender/lemon/peppermint pillow I used 4 lavender drops, 6 lemon drops, and 6 peppermint drops.

- Tuck in the edge from the open side and pin closed.  I sewed over this edge twice; one seam at 1/4 inch and another at 1/8 inch.


Notes:

As DD was mixing and filling she exclaimed, "My ears just popped!"  She gets seasonal allergies and had been stuffy and yucky.  It helped her clear up right away! :)

Plastic absorbs so we used ceramic bowls and stainless steel spoons.  We had to use a plastic funnel but, I guess because the oil didn't sit in it, it didn't seem to absorb any of the essential oils.

For some reason, when I smell lavender I feel like I am immediately detoxing.  I had to drink 3 full glasses of water while filling and sewing up the lavender pillow!

After the first batch I just stuck with organic millet for subsequent batches.  The millet seems to absorb the oils better.  However, I had a customer come to the table who was actually allergic to millet, so the flax I had was a great alternative for her.

I eventually made some plain millet ones as well.  One can drop the essential oils along the outside.  I do this with the small pillow diffusers and it works fine.


 

 
I plan on using a peppermint one for my next migraine and see how effective it is for the really bad headaches!
 
 
PS:  Here is our facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eclectic-Living-Crafts-and-Such/1479639585608251

No comments:

Post a Comment