Saturday, December 11, 2010

Christmas (book) Shopping

Warning:
This is a totally selfish and boring post so I won't forget my amazon searches for dds' books for Christmas.  Due to financial timing these will most likely go in their stockings that we open on Three King's Day (Epiphany) on January 6th [see how we celebrate here and here].  Phew, that gives me a little more time.


What's Cookin'?
I found this youtube video on how to cut up a pineapple.  It worked out really well.  I wish I had more umph - I would get more while they are on sale and can some pineapple.  We dehydrated some, used some for Ambrosia Salad, and ate most fresh.  Our Ambrosia Salad this year was mainly pineapple, shredded coconut, and drizzled honey.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT6xG-UJEWs&NR=1

What's Schoolin'?

Technically, this isn't school, but each dc has something they want to learn so their book Christmas wishlist sort of fits under schooling.  The topics are trick roping, playing the harmonica, and some sort of dog encyclopedia.  These are "under consideration" - I haven't decided on anything yet...

Roping:  Cowboy Roping and Rope Tricks; Will Rogers Rope Tricks; How to Trick Rope; Roping - Trick and Fancy Rope Spinning; Born to Rope; Roping; Catch Rope;





































































Harmonica:  Mel Bay's Easiest Harmonica Book; Instant Harmonica; Mel Bays First Lessons Blues Harmonica (has DVD); Mel Bay's Complete Chromatic Harmonica Method (VHS video); Country and Blues Harmonica for the Musically Hopeless; How to Play the Pocket Harmonica; Instant Harmonica.






































































Dogs:  There are waaaay too many choices.  I'll have to narrow to dog breeds since we've had The Encyclopedia of the Dog checked out from the library for about a year.  I know she'll really miss that book.  Here goes:  Encyclopedia of Dog Breeds; The New Encyclopedia of the Dog; The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dog Breeds; The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Dog Breeds; Dog Breeds of the World (Illustrated Encyclopedia); The Dog Encyclopedia; The International Encyclopedia of Dogs; The Complete Dog Book; Dogs (Smithsonian Handbook); Legacy of the Dog; Factfinder Guide-Dogs; DK Handbook -Dogs; Legacy of the Dog - Ultimate Illustrated Guide.










































































































If I don't get this for her I will probably get this for me :) [Dog Breeds of the World].  I've been wanting to make Dog Pins for her use like I made the Horse Pin Maps for the olders.  They are individual continent pin maps with horse breeds for the pins.  They put them in the country of origin.  It looks like this book would be a good resource for making those pins.  I won't be getting this one but maybe I can request it from the library or inter-library loan.  It's over 900 pages and looks wonderful for this project:  The Atlas of Dog Breeds of the World.

















Holy Water Fonts:  I've been wanting to give each dd an inexpensive font for Three Kings Day since last year.  Inexpensive is the operative word here.  I was searching on Amazon and found just the one here but there was only one in stock.  I was able to order directly from the company but that got me looking at homemade ones.  I just love image google!
http://alice.typepad.com/cottage_blessings/2008/04/crafting-for-a.html

http://soulpockets.blogspot.com/2008/10/make-your-own-holy-water-font.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/herroyalmajesty/4547008766/

No comments:

Post a Comment